Are you looking for tips on getting your kids to eat healthier?
This question has been going around lately.
The truth is, we started our healthy routine right away. We incorporated habits we learned growing up and applied them to our family. And that’s what’s made it fairly easy for us. However, sometimes your kids learn to be picky from other kids. And sometimes they are just downright stubborn! That can be so frustrating!
A lot of factors go in to living a healthy lifestyle including good influence and routine. I’m not a health and nutrition professional, I just know that these factors have helped our family to make good choices!
10 Healthy Eating Tips For Kids:
1) Avoid filing your house with junk food! This has been a huge lifesaver for us! We hardly ever buy cookies, ice cream, chips, candy, or pop. Part of it is so I don’t have the temptation and part of it is because it doesn’t usually fit in a frugal budget.
2) Let your kids pick whatever they want from the produce aisle! You might be surprised at what they pick. When my kids feel like this is a special treat, they tend to choose lots of colorful fruits and veggies. Our middle told me that he loves broccoli. I find it so funny when he chomps a big piece of raw broccoli.
3) Keep plenty of healthy options easily accessible. Keep carrot sticks, celery sticks, and cucumbers available in Tupperware, along with a dip. Have smaller apples or washed grapes and berries available in a fruit bowl on the table. I even pass out little containers of peanuts or almonds to the kids.
4) Don’t eat out too often. Dining at your favorite restaurant is a luxury, and with that, should be enjoyed like a treat. The menu will usually contain a lot of additives like fat, oil, butter, salt, and sugar. When you cook at home, you are able to cook with less additives. You can even steam cook your food to reduce the extras!
5) Be a good example! Feed them things that you will eat also. Have spinach salad and show them all of the yummy toppings and dressings they can try from. Show your kids that you enjoy nutrition!
6) Grow your own produce! Every mid-May our family goes to the local farmers market and pick out potatoes, green bean seeds, tomato plants, and a few other random things to grow. Once these start producing, the kids pick them off the plants and eat them right out of the garden. I mean, what’s better than a warm, juicy sun-ripened tomato right off the plant?
7) Teach your kids how to cook. It’s hard to let little kids do too much in the kitchen, but little helpers are great for standing up on a chair and stirring. As they get older, they are great at measuring. And when they get a little older, they are great a cutting soft foods with a butter knife. And as they get a little older yet, they start to learn how to use a microwave. Then the stove.
8) Eat at routine meal times. This promotes our bodies to work properly and helps our bodies to stay energized. Not eating at the same time can affect your blood pressure and BMI. Here’s an article about it!
9) Have meals together at the dinner table. Eating meals together as a family is first a great way to bond and also encourages us to be mindful of what we are putting into our bodies. For example, I tend to eat more unhealthy snacks/ convenient food late at night when watching T.V. Do you do that too? (And your table doesn’t have to look this pretty to eat together!)
10) Explore new foods and flavors! Maybe your family will find a new favorite! Is there a new fruit, veggie, or herb in the produce section? Did you try those raw and cooked (of the ones you can try both ways)? Would a certain sauce make it taste better?
So there are my 10 tips to help you get your kids to eat healthier! I hope through this, you maybe found something that works for you!
For moms who are looking for ways to realistically lose weight before bikini season, here are some tips that worked for me!
Do you have any healthy eating tips to share?