This year, as I’ve hit a new decade, I’ve been reflecting quite a bit on life. I think the biggest thing that stands out for me is that adapting to change and being content are just as important as fulfilling your dreams.
My vision for my life has changed as I’ve grown. Instead of focusing mostly on career path, I now focus more on my relationships. My perspective has drastically changed, too. I wonder how I can help other people in life. How can I do the most good in the world with what I’m given?
Some of the lessons I’ve learned were earlier on in the midst of growing up. Other lessons were learned within the past year. And some of these lessons came from some of the wisest people; authors, family, close friends, and my husband.
As a side note, here are some of my absolute favorite books:
- Tuesday’s With Morrie
- 13 Things Mentally Strong Women Don’t Do
- Girl, Wash Your Face
- Mom Set Free
- Natural Disaster
- You will never have life all figured out. Embrace the stages and phases of life as they are.
- To the people you love, say “I love you,” often. You never know when it’ll be the last time you see them.
- Let people know when you’re thinking of them. A picture, a text, do something nice.
- People want to feel understood. Try to understand their perspective.
- Listen. Observe. React less quickly. You might receive more information.
- Stop comparing. We’re all different. There are lots of right ways to do things.
- If you stopped praying, any time is a good time to start. If you have already have a good faith, challenge yourself more.
- Have gratitude.
- Strength is more about your willingness to try something hard and keep going. Sometimes it doesn’t feel like you have any other choices, but to keep going.
- I believe God uses our weaknesses to connect us. Being real about your insecurities and downfalls to the right people helps strengthen everyone.
- You were not made to be perfect. So don’t get upset when your flaws reveal the human in you.
- Success is rarely quick or easy. Real success isn’t making lots of money, but doing something you’re passionate about.
- Relationships succeed because of expectations that were met.
- Prioritize things that are important to you, everything else can wait.
- Respect goes a long way.
- The most magical moments happen when least expected on an ordinary day.
- There are bound to be people in the world who want what you have.
- There are always going to be critics. But they don’t know enough.
- You only need to matter to the right people.
- Listen to more music. Listen to new genres.
- Eat more plants. You’ll get the vitamins and minerals you need. Plus it’s a good way, (environmentally) to help the planet.
- Exercise comes in many forms. Stick to the one you like the most; dancing, riding your bike, playing a sport, or hitting the gym.
- Get more sleep and rest often. In this world, people will demand your time and energy. But you won’t be valuable if you are entirely worn out.
- Watch the sunrise or sunset every day. You’re blessed to be here.
- Hang on to your hobbies. They make you, you!
- If you don’t know, ask.
- Emotional arguments never solve anything. Instead, try explaining how you feel.
- Happiness is a gift you give yourself.
- Forgiveness isn’t always a quick easy process, but it’s vital to moving forward. Forgiveness is also a gift you give yourself.
- And lastly, you’re never too old to be silly, dream, or try new things.