Sunday recipe posts are back on Momma Bird Blog! Although this is not a fitness and weight loss blog, nutrition is such a huge part of feeling good.
I often find myself talking nutrition with my husband, because I value the benefits of eating well. Sometimes when he’s really tired, I remind him to have a handful or almonds or an apple. When my family is all feeling under the weather, we focus more on hydration and electrolytes. And when I’m getting to that time of the month, I’m always craving heart healthy foods.
Today, I thought I’d share 3 superfood smoothies, especially for those of you who maybe have small children and not a lot of time to eat a balanced diet. Because when you skip a meal altogether, the burnout goes from a mental to physical state.
I’ve had my own speculations about superfoods because it seems like everything is considered to be this ultra-powerful food. It seems that social media tends to really hype-up any whole food. According to Healthline, there are only 16 real superfoods.
Keep in mind that smoothies are super flexible. You can always play with taste; adding various natural sweeteners, dairy, vitality essential oils, and more. If you decide to use oils, make sure to use 100% therapeutic grade essential oils that are intended to digest. (You don’t want to digest perfume oils or oils that aren’t intended for internal use.) Lastly, I used an emulsion blender to whip these up and served them in plastic stemless wine glasses. Perfect way to get that boost for the day!
Avocado + Spinach
- 1/4 cup avocado ripened, and cubed
- 1/4 cup fresh, washed spinach
- 1/2 cup quartered cucumber
- a couple sprigs of cilantro
- 2 drops of lemon or lime vitality essential oil (100% therapeutic grade)
- 1/2 cup water to thin
- *salt to taste* (optional)
Blend with emulsion blender and taste.
Berry + Watermelon
- 1 cup of cubed watermelon (no seeds)
- 1/4 cup of frozen berries
- 2 drops of lemon vitality essential oil (100% pure therapeutic oil)
No need to add water, the watermelon thins well on its own! Blend and enjoy!
- 1 whole banana
- 1/2 cup chopped pineapple
- 2 drops lemon vitality essential oil (100% therapeutic grade)
- fresh grated ginger (a little goes a long way)
- Dash of dairy milk, almond milk, or coconut milk
If you prefer a chilled smoothie, just freeze your chopped banana and pineapple ahead of time.
The Three Amigos
Next time we might just have to combine fruits and veggies! Perhaps even a smoothie with a little mint kick would do!