I’m so excited about this recipe! You may remember a recipe I shared with you all a couple years back. It contained remnants of the “yucky” dinner that my kids couldn’t even stomach. Sneakily, I added the baked butternut squash and a few other ingredients, resulting in some “magic chocolate muffins.” They had no clue they were eating butternut squash.
I still may tweak the above recipe, since I’m not a professional chef, and rather a lover of baking and making food.
For this recipe, I combined leftover mac and cheese and a few other ingredients to make a mouth-watering combo! In a saucepan I made a homemade Alfredo sauce, using real Parmesan cheese, then I pureed the baked butternut squash. Lastly, I drizzled the new sauce over the leftover mac and cheese.
Do you see any bits of butternut squash in the mac and cheese? I don’t. And my kids clearly didn’t! #momwin
- boxed mac and cheese, pre-made/8 oz. elbow mac, cooked
- 1 cup baked butternut squash (baked only with oil and salt)
- about 2 oz. grated from wedge of Parmesan cheese
- 2 TBS. butter
- 4 TBS. flour
- 2 cups milk
- salt, pepper, and garlic powder
- Prepare your mac and cheese or butternut squash.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Whisk cheese and flour until it becomes pasty. Next, whisk the milk in. Season to taste.
- Once sauce thickens, add the baked butternut squash right to the saucepan. Puree using an immersion blender.
- Pour over (warmed) elbow mac or mac and cheese. Stir in well.
- Depending on your crowd, you may want to pop this into a casserole dish and warm on 300 degree for about 10 minutes (covered). Or for a quick heat, pop in the microwave for 3-4 minutes on high.
I’m almost certain that the Parmesan cheese played a big role! Up until now I hadn’t played much with it because of cost, but now I see how often I’ve been able to use it in other dishes. Goodbye to cans of Parmesan (for now)!
When I took my first bite of this magical creation, I’m pretty sure I fell in love. It has such a creamy, rich taste, none of which tastes like hidden vegetables. It will literally make your mouth water!
Feel free to add other various cheeses to your cheese sauce! And Enjoy!